I'm not a java security manager expert, but I've been playing with this a
bit.

Could you not do it the other way round? Start a REPL and run the server in
the REPL, instead of starting a server and trying to run a REPL in the
server?

I got as far as setting up the classpath and doing:

(com.google.appengine.tools.development.DevAppServerMain/main (into-array
["war"]))

But of course I get an exception when it tries to install its security
manager. Is it possible to create a java policy file that would allow it to
succeed?

Paul