I'm a little surprised I haven't seen more response on this topic,
since this class of bug (inadvertently holding onto the head of
sequences) is pretty nasty to run into, and is sort of awful to debug.
I'm wondering if there's a different way to write the loop macro so
that it doesn't expand into an outer "let" form.