I don't know how applicable this might be for you, but I've had no
problems whatsoever checking out the latest source for emacs 23 and
compiling from source using the mac developer tools, all on my
friend's laptop.  All I did was type make and cross my fingers.

you might give it 5 minutes if other things aren't working out.

sincerely,
--Robert McIntyre