On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 01:07:51 +0000
Alec Battles <alec.batt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I don't use OS X so I can't comment on such a consensus, but while I
> > appreciate the sentiment, it's actually harmful to some degree to have
> > lots of blog posts scattered around everywhere that all have slightly
> > different advice, especially since that advice usually becomes
> > outdated within the year.
> Speak for yourself. Whenever I need to install SCIM on someone's
> computer I pull up three conflicting blog posts and just combine
> elements of all of them.

I do that as well. And then, after a couple of days trying all the
various combinations and having none of them work, I give up and ask
the on the list to get an answer that actually works with the current
versions of all the tools. Of course, if a typical "howto" was more
than a recipe of steps with no explanations, but actually documented
why you wanted to take each step and what it achieved, then you might
have a chance of figuring out how to mix them to be right for your
environment.

> > I strongly suggest improving the docs on the
> > Clojure wiki instead; that way errors can be fixed by the community.
> Why does the one preclude the other?

Much as I hate wiki's, an up-to-date wiki is *much* better than a
collection of out of date blog entries.  It makes the reading the
out-of-date blog entries that google returns a waste of time. If the
wiki isn't up to date, then it just becomes a part of the
trial-and-error process that's the norm for getting things done in the
Linux world.

> Also, if people aren't going to blog about Clojure, what future does it have?

If people can't figure out how to get Clojure installed because all
they can find on the web is out of date blog entries, what future does
it have?

There's *lots* of good thing in clojure to blog about without writing
yet another "howto" that's going to be out of date in a few
months. You can write about what you're doing with it: how the Java
interop helps with that, how the nifty data structures and functions
that work with them assist the process of creating a program, etc.

Basically, it's a simple choice - do you help yourself by writing an
entry for your blog, or do you help the clojure community by writing
an entry for the wiki? I claim the subject matter should determine
which: if you're documenting how to use clojure, put it on the
wiki. If you're documenting how you're using clojure, put it in your
blog.

        <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html