Luc, I definitely would prefer to avoid odd side effects or complex
dependencies in static initializers. Unfortunately, I'm integrating
clojure into an existing system with a large and complex codebase that
sometimes violates this - it's very similar to the configuration issue
for log4j that you're mentioning, and while it doesn't seem to have
any adverse effects, it does result in some alarming warnings being
emitted (not by the clojure compiler, but by the Java code which is
detecting that something isn't right when it is loaded).