On Jan 16, 2013, at 10:24 AM, Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Mark Hinkle <mark.hin...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> I think this is probably one of the most important things we can do to make
>> it easy for users to install and important for us to help distribution (no
>> pun intended) of CloudStack.
>>
>> Wido's concern about time to bundle is important but if we get into the
>> distros we get much wider distribution and I think we'll get many more
>> interested users and some portion fo them will work on packaging and IMHO
>> we'll net more development resources above and beyond  work needed to
>> packaging. Also as CloudStack gets more popular we'll see more people whose
>> security policies will forbid the use of the community run repos.
>>
>> It's a huge PIA to do and the guidelines for each distribution are usually a
>> one-off but I think it's critical for widespread adoption.
>>

>> Mark
>>

>> On Jan 10, 2013, at 9:07 AM, Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Since packaging is a theme yet again (and we seem to be headed in a
>>> direction that is useful for a distro packager), I wanted to raise the
>>> idea of trying to work with various Linux distros to get CloudStack
>>> into their official package repos.  I see the 4.1.0 release as being
>>> the ideal release
>>>
>>> I know that we have had various packagers represented on this list on
>>> and off, and I suspect that there are quite a few lurkers hanging
>>> around.
>>>
>>> My question to the community is: does it make sense for the Apache
>>> CloudStack community to reach out to various linux disto communities
>>> and see if they would be willing to include the software (as well as
>>> offer packaging help if needed)?
>>>
>>> My questions to folks that might be on this list representing
>>> different distros: Are you interested?  If so, how can we work with
>>> your community most effectively?  Last, CloudStack is obviously still
>>> a podling (and our release numbers still reflect "-incubating").  Is
>>> our graduation a prerequisite in your opinion?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> -chip
>>

> Does anyone in the community want to drive an initiative like this?
> This might be a great way for someone new to help out on the project,
> and get lots of kudos for the work. ;-)

I am not exactly new to CloudStack but I have the contacts at almost all of the
distributions and would be glad to help project manage the process.  My coding
kung fu is pretty weak but I would love to team up with the packagers to
lighten the bureaucratic load for those guys who have real skills  :)

Mark