On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 04:57:58AM -0400, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have been committing the translations to the 4.1 branch.
>
> There is an issue with authorship of the translations.
>
> Translators submit translations of strings via a site called transifex. A
> documentation file can therefore have multiple translators.
> The authorship appears in the .po files and looks like this:
>
> # Translators:
> # Daniela Sant Ana de Oliveira <daniela.sant...@ibge.gov.br>, 2013.
> # Edgard Balter Jr. <ebal...@gmail.com>, 2013.
> msgid ""
> msgstr ""
> "Project-Id-Version: Apache CloudStack Docs\n"
> "POT-Creation-Date: 2013-03-19T13:38:05\n"
> "PO-Revision-Date: 2013-03-19 14:13+0000\n"
> "Last-Translator: sebgoa <run...@gmail.com>\n"
> ….<snip>
>
> This example has two translators and I also appear there probably because I
> uploaded the empty strings.
>
> Those .po files are generated automatically and used by publican to build the
> guides in the different languages.
>
> I currently I committed all .po files and while putting the license header I
> mistakenly wiped out all authorship information, which is not good.
>
> However there are over 1000 .po files. If I want to commit with the proper
> authorship I need to automate it. Couple problems arise
>
> 1-The number of commit could be as large as 1000 :(
> 2-A single file can have multiple authors
>
> The easiest way is for me to commit all .po files in one commit and keep the
> authorship within the text of the po files.

I'm OK with keeping the authorship in the .po files (assuming you were
to re-gen and re-fix license headers to not strip them).

Generally, the ASF best practice (as I've observed on general@i.a.o and
infra-discuss@i.a.o) is to NOT include authors in the headers.  However,
given the fact that transifex takes the time to deal with it, and given
the especially difficult workflow that individual commits would
introduce, I'd say that we're ok with the comment-based approach.

Unless anyone else objects, go with it.