That's where I'm not sure. Its been a few years, and we always used vmfs,
which is more of the shared pool model. VMware wants to have something to
carve up rather than 1 disk per VM disk, but that doesn't mean it isn't
possible.

We've been building our own custom primary storage, but doing it in 4.1,
since we don't want to wait. There's a decent amount of work to do on the
host to get the disks connected up and usable, identified, and mapped to
the right things ready for VMs. That work will exist even after the storage
framework is in place. The work is done on the host by agent storage
adaptors in KVM, I'm not sure if xen and VMware have an equivalent or if
they just rely on xen and VMware supported pool types.