On 03-Dec-15 16:59, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
I.e. it could be replaced with a string of the same length or a
shorter one, but not a longer one.

CMake works around this by extending the build RPATH artificially with
":" at the end I think, patchelf works around this by making the whole
executable one page bigger if the new entry is longer.
Just an implementation notes, doesn't change the fact that it can be
done and it's designed to be modifiable.
This is only nitpicking about a side-topic, but: Just because it can be done
does not mean that it was designed for that purpose.
If it succeed it doesn't break the things. And for every C++ string changing trick can be created counter-example (yes, synthetic, but anyway) that violates logic or even crash an application. At least in the form how I see it will be implemented.

You argument is like saying that a wrench was designed to be used as a hammer
(after all, you can hit a nail with it).
I've never seen manual to the wrench but if one exists I doubt there is a section "how to hit a nail with wrench". But I see chrpath tool on Linux and install_name_tool on OSX.

Will you be okay if I change "designed" to "can be done correctly"?

Ruslo