Craig,

My cmake-based build system in my company's CI framework works exactly that
way: there's a generic cmake script[1] (invoked with cmake -P) that reads
in a file which contains repo-urls and build parameters for 50+ projects
and builds them for 3 platforms (linux, win, mac) 5 compilers
(cross-compilers, too) invoking child cmake builds with execute_process.
This is done after each push and one daily clean build.

I've never had any problems with that approach.

On the other hand, the system was originally designed with ExternalProject
and I had many problems.

[1]: https://github.com/tamaskenez/centralbuilder

Tamas