On 25-Jun-16 10:02, Eric Noulard wrote:
Hi there,

I'd like to give my opinion here.
I agree that the fact that the cmake ui (qt or curse) makes it possible to separate configure from generate is an implementation detail. In fact one could perfectly decide that the "configure" step should "generate " each time it is run. Making it two-step save some time for big project but I have already seen people forgetting
to generate and asking themselves why they didn't get any makefiles...

Nevertheless from a user point of view explaining that there are different "time" because CMake is a buid system **generator** and not a build tool seems very important to me.

Some action may be run during CMake time some may be done during Build time.
For me CMake run is configure+generate.

I did gave a tutorial which is now a bit outdated where I tried to picture this.
See attached file or:
https://github.com/TheErk/CMake-tutorial

my 2 cents.
Actually it doesn't conflicts with steps notions. "cmake time" for GUI = "cmake configure" step + "cmake generate" step, "cmake time" for command-line = "cmake configure+generate" step. Also by one step you can trigger events from different "times", i.e. "cmake --build _builds --target install" will run "Install time" which can trigger commands from "Build time", which even can trigger commands from "CMake time" (if CMakeLists.txt changed for example).

    There is cmake **build** step: cmake --build _builds

    So in GUI it's:
     * cmake configure
     * cmake generate
     * IDE build (which you can do with cmake --build so it can be
    called "cmake build" step)

    in cmd:
     * cmake configure+generate
     * cmake build

    Also I can call it "cmake step" in docs about some C++ project,
    but if the docs about cmake itself I think this term is too wide