Actually I think your idea does work. Why do you think it won't? I'm
using it right now and so far it seems OK.

1. On build server, if it overrides it with -D, then it does not set
it by hand. If it doesn't override, it will use the fixed version in
the file
2. On work machines, it's never defined prior, so it sets it with the
fixed version.