Hopefully, somebody else doing something similar to what you're doing
will chime in here.

Seems overly complicated from an outsider's perspective.

If what you say is true ...:
"If 'copy_dlls' happens while 'B' is building, then it's possible the
post-build event run by B that deletes the 'libs' directory also
deletes some files copied by 'copy_dlls'"

...then copy_dlls depends on B, because if it runs before or while B
is running, you have problems. So it has to run after.

Seems like you have some untangling to do.