It most definitely is not. I work on a cross platform software distro that
includes many hundreds on libraries. There are 3 competing standards (4 if
you include mingw-w64):

lib prefix: ugly when the lib is already prefixed with lib.
-static.lib suffix.
.dll.lib vs .lib.

The point is cmake has defaults for this and they work on other platforms,
instead on Windows it ignores this and leaves the entire software
development would to deal with it instead.