I understand your

Mateusz Loskot, mate...@loskot.net
(Sent from mobile)

On Sat, 19 May 2018, 22:54 Ray Donnelly, <mingw.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2018, 9:38 PM Mateusz Loskot <mate...@loskot.net> wrote:
>
>> On 19 May 2018 at 22:16, Ray Donnelly <mingw.andr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> e.g:

>> both

>> > Because they are different architectures that in many cases require
>> > different compilers and in some cases different host machines to run on.
>> > Static vs shared has none of these issues to contend with.
>>
>> Both, static and shared may use quite different compilation/linking,
>> that is enough to treat them differently.
>> Apparently, my point hasn't made it through. Nevermind.
>>

> Yes of course they do but the tooling in and around cmake (including
> things like pkg-config and libtool) support this already. All I am pushing
> for is for parity between the main 3 OSes here so that users of cmake do
> not have to implement ugly hacks purely due to this.

I understand. I just have learned to live with lacking of such parity in
CMake.
Look, CMake does not event abstract such a basic thing as filesystem
case-sensitivity, for example

find_package(protobuf)
vs
find_package(Protobuf)

The former won't work on OS witch case-sensitive filesystem.

Best regards,
Mateusz Loskot