> On May 25, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Brad King <brad.k...@kitware.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/24/2018 07:39 PM, Paul Fultz II wrote:
>>> On May 24, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Brad King wrote:
>>> The `.pc` file format is too flat to lend itself well to representing
>>> all the information we need.
>>
>> What do you mean? What information can't be represented?
>
> Try running CMake's ExportImport test and take a look at the
> files generated by export() and install(EXPORT).  If anyone
> can use `.pc` files as a package representation for everything
> that test does on all platforms then I'd like to see a proposal.

Yes, and what seems to be missing from pkg-config to represent that information
is the ability to put a direct path to the library(instead of using the -l and
-L flags), and support for a `Replaces` field.

This is also the same shortcomings talked about in the CPS document as well.
Resolving these shortcomings, will allow pkg-config to represent the same thing
as CPS and cmake. What else is missing?

The reason I say this is that extending pkg-config seems like it would help
adoption rather then creating a completely new format. There is already a good
portion of open source projects that already support pkg-config, so tweaking
them to support more complicated scenarios seems easier than converting
everything to a new format.

Paul