On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Bill Bumgarner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On May 23, 2008, at 3:49 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:
>
>> The implementation of foreach appears almost expressly designed to better
>> support scripting languages. The ObjC foreach() syntax is just chrome -
>> the
>> "fast" comes from under the hood. It compiles down to a single method
>> that's
>> called to get a count of items and a C array of ids. For a scripting
>> bridge,
>> an opportunity to replace several trips across the bridge per iteration
>> with
>> a single round trip for the whole array is *huge*.
>>

> That for(... in ...) supports more efficient bridging is a benefit of the
> design, but not the initial goal.

Sure, I understand that. We bridge builders are a very small audience - I'm
under no illusions that Apple put in that kind of effort just for us. Still,
for all that it *wasn't* purpose-built for efficient bridging, it may as
well have been as far as the end result it concerned. I don't think you
could have hit that target more squarely even if it had been.

sherm--