You should not be releasing pnl because you do not own a reference to it. The memory management rules explain why this is.

--
David Duncan @ My iPhone

On Jan 2, 2010, at 2:44 PM, Charles Jenkins <cjenk...@tec-usa.com> wrote:

Hello, everyone. I'm struggling through the steep Cocoa learning curve, and even things that should seemingly be very easy turn out to be difficult for me.

I have an NSView in which I ask for the player names for a 4-person game. I have hooked the NSTextField objects to IBOutlet NSTextField* data members of my view's class, and I am at the point where the user clicks 'OK' and I need to save the player names.

The NSTextField* variables are called playerA ... playerC, and i have no problem with using [playerA stringValue] to get the name of a player. The problem comes when I try to save the player name into an array. Here is the current version of my code:

 NSString* pa = [playerA stringValue];
 NSString* pb = [playerB stringValue];
 NSString* pc = [playerC stringValue];
 NSString* pd = [playerD stringValue];
 NSArray* pnl = [NSArray arrayWithObjects:pa,pb,pc,pd,nil];
 [parentDocument setPlayerNameList:pnl];
 [pnl release];

I think adding the strings to an array will retain them; that's why there aren't a bunch of retain calls here. setPlayerNameList should retain as well, so the only memory management I think I have to do here is release pnl once.

pa, pb, pc, and pd are all good, according to the debugger as I step through, so the call to arrayWithObjects: looks good. But when I get the resulting array, all of the objects are trash and I get a BAD ACCESS exception when anybody tries to use them.

I'm using XCode 3.2.1 on Snow Leopard, but I'm building using the 10.5 or later SDK, because I'm not using an 10.6-only features.

So, what the heck am I doing wrong? Thanks!

This email sent to david.dun...@apple.com