On 4.1.2010, at 13:58, Charles Jenkins wrote:

> On 2010-01-03 00:08, Eric Smith wrote:
>> Correct, do not release the array.  If you don't create it with "init", or
>> retain it, then you should not release it.
>>
> Eric, thank you for stating that rule. It should be easy enough to remember
> and help me avoid this problem in the future.
>
> In my defense, there seems to be a bug in the latest XCode, which make
> strings stored in NSArrays look like garbage when inspected during debugging.
> So the elements of pnl appeared to be trashed immediately upon creation.
> That's why I was looking for the bug in the wrong place.

Yes, the data formatters in the debugger do not always work. Typing "po
<object>" (e.g. po [pnl objectAtIndex:0]) normally works. "po" stand for "print
object".

> Does anyone else find XCode extremely buggy?

Not at all. For me Xcode is extremely robust and a lot of fun to use. I use the
latest version under Snow Leopard, but it was mostly the same under Leopard,
too. My impression was that Xcode gained a lot of robustness when it was
switched to GC.

> I have to continually close and reopen my editing window because the code
> display gets trashed and appears to scramble my code. It doesn't really
> change the source code file; it just makes it look as if I've randomly gone
> through the file deleting stuff, and when I see that happen, I immediately
> save, close, and reopen the window, and everything is fine.

Sounds scary, i’ve never seen this.

> Mac software is usually first class, stable, and beautiful. How do folks
> write such great software when they're stuck with such a sub-par IDE? :-)

They aren’t. There must be something very special with your setup.

Best
Kai