Paul Duffin wrote:
A problem that I ran into was that Serializers do not have access to the environment (Request / Response). This means that it is very hard to write sophisticated Serializers.

For example? (I think FOP and batik are both pretty sofisticated serializers)

We worked around this by using it in conjunction with a Transformer that was given the environment and simply passed it on to the Serializer.

The problem with having an environment-dependent serializer is that the cache needs access to it because it might change its behavior depending on environment parameters.

Stefano.