I'm back from a short vacation in beautiful Chicago (it really is much
nicer than Toronto or Montreal) and have waded back in to Cocoon for a
couple of days.

After just a few hours of poking around I have decided that it will be
much simpler for me to simply hand-code a whole hat-full of servlets
than to try and pull any meaning out of Cocoon and it's documentation.
Fifteen hours on the Interstate wasn't as challenging as trying to
figure out how one should check a Web Form this month but I didn't have
that feeling of travelling backwards half of the time. I was also able
to predict and achieve forward progress (for a change).

Thanks guys, but no thanks.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I really don't understand the need for all
of the complexity and the lack of documentation in this product.

On the other hand, I used to feel the same way about the mind-numbing
complexity of a certain thirty-year-old mainframe operating system
(MVS) produced by IBM back in the sixties and it's patching system
(SMP4). So it can't just be my age.

Anyway, Cocoon has cost me far morte (a typo that's better than the
original word) time than it was worth. The chief problems appear to
have been endlessly re-invented terminology for an overwhelming number
of 'new concepts' and a complete lack of consistency between different
components (i.e. functional code, non-functional examples, unbuildable
documentation and a website that doesn't match up with any single
released version of the project).

I have a lot of respect for the ability of the people who have built
this project, but I want them to know that their project appears to be
out-of-control and could become very difficult to manage. If
experienced developers (like myself) can't figure out how to use enough
features in the product to make it worth using, then penetration will
be limited and all of your efforts will be wasted. There is more to
this business than stuffing in features at the expense of documentation
and testing. You have a lot of very good ideas, but the execution of
the project as a whole seems to be suffering.

I know that I will often look at my JSP and servlet code and think 'XSP
and Cocoon were sooo much better!' until I remember that I wasn't ever
able to use enough of Cocoon to make a profit.

Oh, well, at least all of my test systems have bags of memory now!