> After just a few hours of poking around I have decided that it will be
> much simpler for me to simply hand-code a whole hat-full of servlets
> than to try and pull any meaning out of Cocoon and it's documentation.

John,

it took me almost 2 weeks to go from 0 to 60 using Tomcat, JBoss, and Cocoon
(with the 1.4 SDK complicating matters), our previous environment was IIS
and Websphere.  Having built many servlet based systems I can tell you that
the learning curve was worth it.

The servlet based version of our current system took over 4 person years to
build and has about half as much functionality as what we are currently
aiming for with the Cocoon based system in about twice as much code.  A
complete rewrite using Cocoon was simpler than extending the current system.
Cocoon has already shaved probably 6 person months or more off of what would
otherwise have been a 2.5 person year project (4 people on the current
project, 6 on the original version).

Yes things are disorganized at the moment, but the solution is simple: don't
try and understand everything up front.  Instead, take it one step at a time
and research each gotcha with the multitude of resources that are available
(the mail list archive and Google are your friends).  Subscribe to the
mailing list and watch the messages go by.  By the time you get to the point
where you need a certain feature there will most likely have been enough
discussion on the mailing list that you already know what to look for.

Of course your mileage may vary, if you're trying to build a couple of
simple web pages with no requirement for reusability or multiple data
transforms then the learning curve may not save you anything (this time
around).

But then again, I always preferred VM over MVS...:-)