I think that it's supposed to be the exact opposite. APIs, and especially web APIs, exist to provide access to your data outside of a specific vendor implementation. That way you can have your OPAC from $BIG_VENDOR, but use the bibliographic data from it in $OPEN_SOURCE_PROJECT without having to access the database directly (causing your DBAs to have sleepless nights.) Theoretically anything that comes over HTTP is some form of structured text, so there shouldn't be unreadable binary blobs.

In theory, that's how it's supposed to work. There's still crappy implementations, but that's not the fault of the API - that's the fault of the implementer.

-Andrew