Andrew Hankinson schrieb:

I think that it's supposed to be the exact opposite. APIs, and especially web APIs, exist to provide access to your data outside of a specific vendor implementation.

If they are open, well documented, free of non disclosure agreements, free to be used/implemented in any kind of software and scenario (I don't claim they need to be free of fees if they provide a valuable service!)... I heard, there are APIs that don't work that way... Those may lock you in, yes.

That way you can have your OPAC from $BIG_VENDOR, but use the bibliographic data from it in $OPEN_SOURCE_PROJECT without having to access the database directly (causing your DBAs to have sleepless nights.) Theoretically anything that comes over HTTP is some form of structured text, so there shouldn't be unreadable binary blobs.

Oh no, please. We are doing some things that way: Screenscraping HTML. Sleepless nights... That's as good as a publisher sending some hundred thousand metadata records in a somehow "structured" Word document (no joke, Word even refused to open that file, OpenOffice did, very nice: Journal Titles etc. in the headline, article data on the page, must have been a real punishment for the one compiling that beast).

In theory, that's how it's supposed to work. There's still crappy implementations, but that's not the fault of the API

I think you mix up APIs with open standards or documentation...
APIs are everywhere in software (they are a fundamental concept of software design), but most are not "open" or intended for "public use" (even Microsoft has a long tradition of APIs, but it took them a long time to embrace the power of open APIs in their products).

Regards,
Till

--
http://twitter.com/tillk