We're about in the same boat as you. We use Nagios and have Cacti for other
things so I'll probably use it for hadoop as well. Ganglia seems interesting
but not too simple to setup. We also tried Cloudera Desktop which gives you
a nice interface to see what's happening but it requires using Cloudera's
hadoop and seems more focused on real-time status as opposed to background
monitoring.

I'd be interested to hear more of what other people have been successful
with. Anyone?

-Kevin