Hi All,

I'm currently developing a sub-class of the AbstractConfiguration classthat uses Hibernate to access configuration properties (unimaginatively called Hibernate Configuration). I'm slightly concerned about the way sub-classes are suposed to handle exceptions:

All the abstract method are defined as not throwing exceptions. All calls to hibernate, however, throw HibernateExceptions. So, for example, my implementation of getPropertyDirect calls the hibernate Session.get() method which can throw an exception.

Looking at your implementation of the DatabaseConfiguration I can see that it simply consumes SQLExceptions thrown from the JDBC API, logging the stack trace. However, what if you want to be warned of exceptions being thrown by the underlying implementation of Configuration?

I notice you already have a nestable ConfigurationException implemented. Surely, all Configuration methods should indicate they will throw this exception if they are expected to read/write data?

Also, the AbstractConfiguration class does not describe this contract (logging all errors throw by underlying framework) or what should be returned in the event of an error? I assume you should return null values but this is not described anywhere.

Kind regards,
-- Ricardo Gladwell