From: "Ricardo Gladwell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 8:07 AM
Subject: Re: [configuration] handling exceptions in AbstractConfiguration
implementations

> Eric Pugh wrote:
> > Hi Ricardo..  Sounds like you are working on something I've been wanting
for
> > a long time!
>
> Of course, I was going to release it anyway so please find the
> source-code attached. Not sure it belongs in commons-configration API;
> probably better contributed to the hibernate project. If you can think
> of any improvements please mail the patches back to me for my own project
:)

> > In otherwords, say I am using a Configuration object in my code, and I
do
> > configuration.getDouble("key");.  If getDouble throws an exception then
I am

----

> package net.sf.jexus.server.components;

> import java.util.Iterator;
> import java.util.List;
>
> import net.sf.hibernate.HibernateException;
> import net.sf.hibernate.Session;
> import net.sf.hibernate.Transaction;
> import net.sf.jexus.server.data.object.ConfigurationProperty;
>
> import org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtils;
> import org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration;
>
> /**
>  * <p>Hibernate configuation class. Reads configuration infomation from a
>  * database through the <a href="http://www.hibernate.org/";>Hibernate</a>
>  * O/R mapping API. Data is stored as name-value pairs, along with the
class
>  * information of data stored, using the mapping* defined by the
>  * [EMAIL PROTECTED] ConfigurationProperty} POJO hibernate xdoclet directives. Values
are
>  * converted to and from strings using
>  * [EMAIL PROTECTED] org.apache.commons.beanutils.ConvertUtils}.</p>
>  *
>  * @author <a href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">Ricardo
Gladwell</a>
>  */
> public class HibernateConfiguration extends AbstractConfiguration {
>
>     /**
>      * Logger for this class
>      */
>     private static final Log log =
LogFactory.getLog(HibernateConfiguration.class);

>     /**
>      * Reference to the session factory.
>      */
>     Session session;
>
>     /**
>      *
>      */
>     class KeyIterator implements Iterator {
>
>         Iterator iterator;
>         String last;
>
>         public KeyIterator(Iterator iterator) throws HibernateException {
>             this.iterator = iterator;
>         }
>
>         /**
>          * @see java.util.Iterator#hasNext()
>          */
>         public boolean hasNext() {
>             return iterator.hasNext();
>         }
>
>         /**
>          * @see java.util.Iterator#next()
>          */
>         public Object next() {
>             ConfigurationProperty config =
(ConfigurationProperty)iterator.next();
>             String key = config.getName();
>             last = key;
>             return key;
>         }
>
>         /**
>          * @see java.util.Iterator#remove()
>          */
>         public void remove() {
>             clearProperty(last);
>         }
>
>     }
>
>     /**
>      *
>      */
>     public HibernateConfiguration(Session session) {
>         super();
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled()) log.trace("HibernateConfiguration()");
>         this.session = session;
>     }
>
>     /**
>      * @see
org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration#getPropertyDirect(jav
a.lang.String)
>      */
>     protected Object getPropertyDirect(String key) {
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled()) log.trace("getPropertyDirect("+key+")");
>         ConfigurationProperty config = null;
>         try {
>             config = (ConfigurationProperty)
session.get(ConfigurationProperty.class,key);
>         } catch(HibernateException e) {
>             log.error("Error reading congfiguration
property=["+key+"]",e);
>             return null;
>         }
>         try {
>             Class clazz =
getClass().getClassLoader().loadClass(config.getType());
>             return ConvertUtils.convert(config.getValue(), clazz);
>         } catch(ClassNotFoundException e) {
>             log.warn("Cannot find class=["+config.getType()+"] for
property=["+key+"]",e);
>         }
>         return config.getValue();
>     }
>
>     /**
>      * @see
org.apache.commons.configuration.AbstractConfiguration#addPropertyDirect(jav
a.lang.String, java.lang.Object)
>      */
>     protected void addPropertyDirect(String key, Object value) {
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled())
log.trace("addPropertyDirect("+key+","+value+")");
>         ConfigurationProperty config = new ConfigurationProperty();
>         config.setName(key);
>         config.setValue(ConvertUtils.convert(value));
>         config.setType(value.getClass().getName());
>         try {
>             Transaction transaction = session.beginTransaction();
>             session.save(config);
>             transaction.commit();
>         } catch(HibernateException e) {
>             log.error("Error adding congfiguration property=["+key+"]",e);
>         }
>     }
>
>     /**
>      * @see org.apache.commons.configuration.Configuration#isEmpty()
>      */
>     public boolean isEmpty() {
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled()) log.trace("isEmpty()");
>         try {
>             List list = session.find("from Configuration");
>             return list.isEmpty();
>         } catch(HibernateException e) {
>             log.error("Error reading keys.",e);
>             return true;
>         }
>     }
>
>     /***
>      * @see
org.apache.commons.configuration.Configuration#containsKey(java.lang.String)
>      */
>     public boolean containsKey(String key) {
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled()) log.trace("containsKey("+key+")");
>         return (getPropertyDirect(key) != null);
>     }
>
>     /**
>      * @see
org.apache.commons.configuration.Configuration#clearProperty(java.lang.Strin
g)
>      */
>     public void clearProperty(String key) {
>         if(log.isTraceEnabled()) log.trace("clearProperty("+key+")");
>         ConfigurationProperty config = new ConfigurationProperty();
>         config.setName(key);
>         try {
>             Transaction transaction = session.beginTransaction();
>             session.delete(config);
>             transaction.commit();
>         } catch(HibernateException e) {
>             log.error("Error clearing congfiguration
property=["+key+"]",e);

----