Thomas Peter wrote:
The next release will contain an alternative class called
DefaultConfigurationBuilder. This class works very similar to
ConfigurationFactory, but provides true hierarchical processing.

ok, i got the rc, and tried the following:

DefaultConfigurationBuilder builder = new DefaultConfigurationBuilder();
try {
        builder.setFile(new File("config.xml"));
        CombinedConfiguration conf = builder.getConfiguration(true);
} catch (ConfigurationException e) {
        e.printStackTrace();
}

i used the xml-files from my OP and got the same result.

what would be the best (or working) :) solution for the following problem.

i want a central configuration file, where i can include other
configurations-files.
the other included configurations should not be merged, but be a huge
union, so _no_ value gets overriden by an other, and i can access all
values.

thank you,
thomas

I think I know now what the problem is: the configuration key in the expression if(!conf.containsKey("a.b("+i+")")) is evaluated as (a).b(i) and not as (a.b)(i).

List values = conf.getList("a.b");

The returned list will contain the values of all existing <b> elements. I tested this with DefaultConfigurationBuilder. I suppose it will work with ConfigurationFactory, too.

Oliver