"Sander Striker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > From the other side of things, GPL'ed libraries have also been a
> > Free Software Business success story (for example: sleepycat, Qt).
>
> SleepyCat?? http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/sleepycat/license.html
> That's no GPL.

No, but the effect is similar:

 * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
 *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
 *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
 *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
 *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
 *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
 *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
 *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules or
 *    files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
 *    system on which the executable file runs.

They even talk about it here:

http://www.winterspeak.com/columns/102901.html

        "These are, effectively, the same terms as the GPL. We didn't
        use the GPL for historical reasons -- carrying the BSD license
        and copyrights from 1.85 would not have been possible under a
        straight GPL. However, the license was designed to work
        exactly the way the GPL does."

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/