On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 09:35, David N. Welton wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > What I wonder is how many of those authors/copyright-holders have
> > actually read the GPL and understand what it really means.  --
> > justin
>
> Probably not the details, but on the other hand, the concept of the
> GPL is clever, and the idea of 'not getting ripped off' appeals to
> people.
>
> From the other side of things, GPL'ed libraries have also been a Free
> Software Business success story (for example: sleepycat, Qt).

Nah. Sleepycat is BSD-like.

The key to success here (just as with e.g. MySQL) is "dual-licensing"
which is something you can do if you have some sort of organization that
holds the sole copyright of a work. This isn't very practical if you
have e.g. the Linux Kernel with hundreds of copyright owners.

If you really want an in-depth view on the compatibilities of the
various licensing models, look at the Linux kernel module loader and the
"tainting" mechanism of the kernel depending on the license of a module.
If you feel sick now, stick with another OS. ;-)

        Regards
                Henning

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/