derby-user@db.apache.org has been grappling with someone who delights in belittling other posters on the list. The topic was raised on women@ (see the thread starting with http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-women/200511.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED] ), but I think it's more appropriate for this list.

We followed Karl Fogel's excellent advice at http://producingoss.com/html-chunk/setting-tone.html#prevent-rudeness and still have seen problems. I have little faith at this point that we'll be able to really nip this in the bud because the poster clearly enjoys the behavior he's exhibiting.

We're for the most part ignoring jabs, but if he does another personal attack on someone, I'd like to deny his ability to post for the following reasons:

1) I have already heard from users who said they're reluctant to post because they're afraid they'll be the object of his witty retorts.

2) I think the bar should be higher for a user list than a developer list. Not that personal attacks should be condoned on [EMAIL PROTECTED] either, but I think developers are more likely to see that behavior for what it is, roll their eyes, and shrug it off. Users are more likely to silently disappear without our even knowing.

My questions for this list are:

1) Am I being too protective of the user community?

2) Have any other projects found a need to deny the ability for somebody to post? I know the commands are listed at http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail-moderate , but how much do they actually get used?

3) Is there any concern that a denied poster would turn around and flame the ASF?

regards,

 -jean