Mark Thomas wrote:
Jean T. Anderson wrote:

I think ignoring is an excellent tactic for a developer's list. I worry
that isn't strong enough for a user's list, but I also wouldn't want to
embark on a path that could backfire.

Not exactly the same situation as yours but one of our users went off
on one a few months back and it looked like a flame war was about to
start. Rather than flame the guy (and boy was I tempted) I found that
an extremely polite reply taking every care to be reasonable whilst
quietly pointing out where he was wrong worked very well. I actually
got half a dozen messages from other users saying something along the
lines of "Great reply. I was about to flame the <insert favourite
adjective/noun combination here> but your reply was much better." and
best of all, not a single flame in response on the users list.

For reference, my reply is here.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=113114296007215&w=2

Most of the credit for what I wrote should go to those who responded
calmly to a similar rant of his on the dev list.

thanks for the excellent example.

 -jean