-----Original Message-----
From: Cathy Zelonis
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:57 PM
To: community_garden-boun...@list.communitygarden.org
Subject: Re: [Community_garden] opposition to volunteer component of membership
agreement

At our garden on Staten Island if someone misses 2 months of public areas
clean-up, they
are out. They pay $20.00 a year dues and are required to do 2 hrs. a month from
April through October. I will call to remind them near the end of the month if
they haven't shown up. Unless they had an operation or something serious like
that, I won't accept their lack of work. We have meetings where we have made
the rules and sometimes ammended them. So the person in charge isn't really
making the rules; the garden group is. If someone doesn't like something, they
have to bring it up at a meeting, and people will respond to them. We did have
one person who did have a tantrum when it became a real 'community' garden run
by all of us. She left. We had another person who was difficult and could not
comply. He left also. We didn't put these people out; they just couldn't be a
part of the community, so they chose to leave. We have a mostly stable
population of reponsible people. Cathy