First, a warning ... the CE-setup script hasn't been updated in a while, so
I'm not sure how well it's working; it should probably be replaced with a Rails
template<http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/12/application-generators-offer-r.html>or
something.

> I am curious about Bruno's setup pack for EC2, but before I go there,
> I wondered if any of you are actually running your CE sites on EC2.

Yes. I'm running 5 CE sites on EC2.

> have reviewed all the docs and read most of the tutorials out there
> from developers. I'm sort of confused about whether one can really run
> CE on EC2 because some of the tutorials/getting started articles
> indicate that one needs to set up all sorts of other stuff to use it
> safely without losing data.

Not really, the main thing is to back up your database regularly and keep
your uploaded files (photos) in S3. That way if your instance goes down, you
don't lose anything. By the way: I've never had an instance go down
unexpectedly.

> Also, it is tough to get my head around what a startup CE site might
> cost on EC2, given all the variables. I am beginning a site for a
> class reunion, which will by its nature limit the number of members to
> perhaps 350 or 400, max.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/158765/amazon-ec2-cost
(It's about $72/month plus bandwidth and S3 storage, which is pennies).

I'll point out using EC2 is like running your own VPS... there's no tech
support, so you need to know your way around a server (installing gems,
required packages like ImageMagick, etc). Otherwise, a managed hosting
solution<http://www.google.com/search?q=managed+rails+hosting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a>might
be better.