Thank you! I am making good progress adding my own css files and overridden
views.

Everything works great in development but I have had a series of problems
in production that I mostly fixed by adding more and more assets to the
precompile list like this:

    config.assets.precompile += %w(community_engine.js community_engine.css
tag-it/tag-it.js tag-it/tag-it.css)

I wonder if I am missing a better way. The rails guide (and stackoverflow)
suggests that I should be able to include assets from an engine using the
require tag in my application.css but I wasn't able to get that to work.
Not a big deal now. I am just curious.

One problem that I haven't yet resolved: i have my own version of
layout.html.haml and have overridden several of the shared partials. In
production the first page load blows up with

ActionView::Template::Error (layout.css isn't precompiled):
    1: = stylesheet_link_tag 'layout'
    2: = stylesheet_link_tag 'application'
    3:
    4: - if forum_page?

If I copy shared/_scripts_and_styles into my app and comment out the line
that includes layout.css, everything works but, of course, I lose the
styling. I have tried every permutation of creating my own layout.css,
adding layout to config.assets.precompile.

I'm not asking anyone to research this for me but if I'm missing something
obvious, please speak up :-)

Thanks for the encouragement and the great engine. It will save me a ton of
time and I hope I'll eventually be able to contribute something back.

Kevin