> I wonder if I am missing a better way. The rails guide (and stackoverflow)
> suggests that I should be able to include assets from an engine using the
> require tag in my application.css but I wasn't able to get that to work.
> Not a big deal now. I am just curious.

This works in development, because the server is configured to serve static
assets (config.serve_static_assets = true), so the request for the engine
asset (communityengine.css) goes through the Rails stack. In production, it
doesn't by default, so those assets will not be accessible unless you
precompile them explicitly. Even better, just throw them into your
application.css (which *is* precompiled by default). So, in
application.css, do:

/*
 *= require communityengine
*/

> One problem that I haven't yet resolved: i have my own version of
> layout.html.haml and have overridden several of the shared partials. In
> production the first page load blows up with
>
> ActionView::Template::Error (layout.css isn't precompiled):
>     1: = stylesheet_link_tag 'layout'
>     2: = stylesheet_link_tag 'application'
>     3:
>     4: - if forum_page?

Again, unless you explicitly tell Rails to precompile layout.css, it won't
be available in production. So either add it to the list of assets to
precompile, or just include in application.css, as above. Generally
speaking, you want to include one stylesheet and one javascript file (if
possible) per page load (or at least the fewest number possible).

So in your case, I'd have an application.css file which I link in the
layout.html.haml template. Then, in that application.css, you might have
something like:

/*
 *= require communityengine
 *= require layout
*/

That way, the CE styles are loaded first, and you can then override them.

If I copy shared/_scripts_and_styles into my app and comment out the line