> I think stl vector implementation on my linux box takes much more memory than
> necessary (I mean using a memory pool, and a big time against memory
> tradeoff), so perhaps being carefull, with 16 GB we could reach 20 minutes.

The STL vector is fairly efficient, especially if you are using
reserve(). But if you are allocating same-size blocks then there is a
quality memory pool in boost. It is hidden in one of the "details"
directories, but I've been using it for a long time for my Chain class.
If you are interested I can isolate and post the relevant bits.

Darren