On 5, Jan 2007, at 8:50 AM, Mark Boon wrote:

How would you feel if your opponent played out possible all ko- threats at the end of the game?

I once played a game against a Chinese graduate student who did exactly that. I was quite impressed with how thorough he was, as if that kind of completeness was an important test. I was not sure if it was a test directed at me or at him. Those moves did not bother me because every one required an answer or I would have suffered. When I answered correctly he moved on.

This was the first game I had played against a Chinese player, and I was stunned when he tossed captured stones back into my bowl. Waiting to see how that detail was going to work out was far more disconcerting than those easy to answer threats.

Cheers,
David