On 1/25/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I also had a difficult time producing a player that was less than
200 ELO stronger than a random player.   Even a single play-out,
which seems hardly enough to discriminate between moves, is
enormously stronger than a random player.    It was pretty much
like this:

   ASSUME computer is black

0.  with probably P, play a random move (using the same selection
methodology as the random player)

  1. play 1 random game.

   2. If black wins,  play one of the first N black moves in the
      play-out  (all-as-first, for me it's some-as-first.)

   3. If white wins, play one of the black move NOT in the play-out.

   4. Crush a random player!

Surely by varying P, you can get a player arbitarily close to the random
player?

Or am I missing something?

cheers
stuart