I assume you mean "...than finding tricks to accelerate RANDOM playouts".

I've been messing around with where to apply heuristics. Candidates include:

1) In the UCT tree, since this is earliest in each playout.
2) In the moves beyond the tree ("heavy playouts"), since this is where most of the moves happen. Because this part is so speed- critical, some trick often has to be used so that you don't evaluate every possible move on every simulated turn. Options include: 2a) Pick N possible moves and choose the one the heuristic likes best. (N might be 3 or so.) 2b) Only apply the heuristic on the first N moves beyond the fringe of the tree.

It currently looks like 2b is by far the best place to apply heuristics. Do others have conflicting results?

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/