>However, I am in favor of changing the SGF format to allow coordinate encoding
>using the "standard" coordinates system rather than the one created just for
>SGF; i.e., "a1" vs "aa".

I routinely use sgf for non-go games and completely ignore the
standard set of tag names and contents.  This works fine for me
because I only have to be compatibile with myself - anyone else
who wanted to read sgf-encoded trax games (for example) would
have to follow my example.

The problem with this for Go is that all the existing tools which
are Go oriented would be unlikely to follow your lead on "improving"
the format.