On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 10:03:56PM -0700, Phil G wrote:
> To my surprise, GoGui can already read SGF with standard coordinates! :)

I think you are muddying the waters by calling non-standard extensions
'standard' coordinates.

I don't see any reason why [C4] should be harder to read than [cd]. Not for
humans, and not for computers.

I see many good reasons for sticking to *one* standard, and everyone using
the same. At least for exchange of data - what you use internally in your
programs is of course your own business.

Even if a new proposed standard would have many benefits, obvious to everyone
(which I have not yet seen), I would stuill urge people to consider those
benefits carefully, and to weigh them against the problems that arise from
having two incompatible standards.

Just my personal opinion, of course.

   - Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk