On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:16:48PM +0100, Raymond Wold wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 14:11 -0500, Don Dailey wrote:
> > Experience in a language is a factor,  but nobody refutes that properly
> > coded C is fastest (next to properly code assembly) and if performance
> > is your goal,  then anything else accepts some compromise.     That
> > compromise may work well for a particular individual and may even
> > produce a stronger program for them,  but it's still a handicap.
>
> Do you have anything to back this up? I was under the impression that
> most decent assembly programmers agreed that they can't compete with the
> best C compilers. Assembly is for when you *need* to be in touch with
> the very lowest level, which in most cases you don't, because lots and
> lots of other assembly programmers have been there before you and
> distilled their knowledge into really really smart compilers that know
> more, and can try out more, than you ever could in a lifetime.

I guess that you could say the original statement holds but humans
generally can't properly code assembly anymore. ;-)

> This assumes that to be cutting edge, cycles matter. If your algorithms
> are such that doubling the execution time available means a 0.01%
> increase in wins (this is *obviously* not true for a Monte Carlo-heavy
> program, but might be for others), then giving up clarity is not worth
> it. And if that 0.01% increase means you'll spend weeks extra
> programming, because you have to recode something from scratch instead
> of using a simple refactoring, the high-level language IS a fine choice.

I think that's somewhat contrived as well. I don't have that good idea
about all the populat computer go algorithsm, do you have example of
reasonably performing algorithm with these properties?

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
We don't know who it was that discovered water, but we're pretty sure