> 9x9 games is a bit silly.  it doesn't actually capture any extra
> information about the program, since there's no such thing as
> a 9x9 rank to compare with/against, much less a dan rank.

I disagree. In my studies of 9x9, over a number of years, the human
19x19 rank generally carries over to 9x9. E.g. a 9p consistently beats a
3p, a 6d consistently beats a 3d, a 1d consistently beats a 5k. Whether
they are playing at 19x19 or 9x9.

(As an aside, my conclusion from this, which I personally think is very
important, is that the main element of human go strength is shape,
tesuji and life/death reading.)

UCT programs are a bit different, in that (as they are "brute-forcing"
in the number of legal moves) their strength does not scale up to higher
board sizes in the same way human strength does. But no-one is claiming
otherwise which is why people are referring to the 9x9 strength and the
19x19 strength of Mogo and CrazyStone as separate things.

But, when we say Mogo is 3d at 9x9, it is fair to say that a human
player with a 3d rank at 19x19 will enjoy a challenging game with it.

Darren