In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, steve uurtamo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

< snip >

to this end, if anyone wants to organize a 9x9 tournament on
kgs (i'm not sure how this is done) where computer players
are allowed (encouraged) to play, with cgos-like time controls,

I think that only a few people on KGS have the power to run tournaments. I am one of those people, and I have been assigned the power only so that I can run bot tournaments. I believe that an event which included a minority of human players would be allowed (though of course I shall accept wms' view on this).

I assume that if I organise a tournament in the way that I do bot tournaments, but without the "robot" restriction, both bots and humans will be able to play. But I'm not sure about any of this, so I would start by running a test tournament, with fast time limits so that not too much time is wasted when things go wrong.

I do not have the power to tell it not to pair humans with humans.

I cannot set cgos-like time controls, with their element of Fischer time. The nearest thing that KGS supports is absolute time plus a very fast overtime (either Canadian or byo-yomi).

Nick

i'd be happy to do the ELO->rank analysis after the fact (although
i imagine that jacques would do a better job.  :)

the more games the better, and with reasonable time controls,
there's no reason that this couldn't be something like the ironman
tournaments that kgs occasionally runs, in the sense that a
multi-day tournament during various times of the day would provide
for a rich and wide variety of players.  i'd ignore everything but
the game results, of course, and would just need kgs rank at start
of tournament for each player, and elo information at start of
tournament for each bot.

--
Nick Wedd    [EMAIL PROTECTED]