>> I thinks it's very difficult to outperform C since C really is just
>> about at the level of assembly language.
>
> No, in special cases it's not that hard to outperform C, because the
> language spec dictates some not so efficient details. C has an ABI and
> it's specification is optimized for the general case.

Stefan, judging by this site (which I posted some links from yesterday)
your intuition is correct:
  http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

Overall C comes in 2nd, 10% slower than C++ (due to extra hints to the
compiler I assume). But C/C++ are not the top of every benchmark. E.g.
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=sumcol&lang=all

Darren

--
Darren Cook