Álvaro Begué wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2007 10:19 AM, Jason House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>

>     On Dec 20, 2007 10:15 AM, Arthur Cater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>         With 8 hashes per position, the chance of two different boards
>         producing a different set of hashes but
>         the same canonical hash is greater than 1/2^64, because there
>         will be
>         a bias in the choice of canonical
>         hashes - toward numerically lower numbers, for instance.
>
>         I think.
>

>     More importantly, how does it differ from 8/2^64 = 1/2^61?
>

> If you are going to compute all 8 hash keys, you can just add them up
> at the end instead of picking the minimum. Wouldn't that be better?
I think that's pretty workable.    XOR is definitely wrong here.   If
you use xor,  then the empty board would hash to the same value as the
position after a stone (of either color) is placed on e5 as well as any
other symmetry like this.    I also think symetries like putting a black
stone on 2 points across from each other (such as in diagonal corners)
would create a zero hash because you have 2 sets of 4 hashes that cancel
each other.    I think addition as Álvaro suggests fixes this.