Which chains are considered? All of them with few enough liberties? If we only consider the last stone and its neighbors, moves elsewhere on the board will look disproportionately bad because they "disable" the ladder searcher.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

On Jul 31, 2008, at 5:06 PM, terry mcintyre wrote:

From: Peter Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Our approach was to read out ladders involving the last stone played.
In the playout (beyond the tree), if the attacker can capture by
continuing a ladder, the attacker plays that move. If the defender can
escape by running, the defender plays that move. Otherwise, a random
move is played.

A human player would not play "a random move;" the likelihood of a playing a ladder-breaker would be high. The opponent would then have to consider whether to
capture the ladder or respond to the ladder-breaker in some other way.

Higher-level players and those with experience programming Go can surely offer improvements.