Depending on your implementation, it may be faster to re-derive the liberty list when you need it. For example, if your playout move suggester only suggests capturing the last stone played, you don't need to do all of the work to update liberty counts for any other chains.

Thanks a lot for everyone's help here. I think I have my ladder- reader working, although my program was still playing out ladders. The solution turned out to be something completely different: turn up the "exploration" coefficient in the UCT formula. If it's too low, the program commits to a particular move too early, builds up a lot of playouts through that move, and keeps playing the move even though it has read a sequence of follow-ups that lead to a bad result.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/