On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 17:29 -0400, Robert Waite wrote:
> Okay... congratulations... you are right... if you are able to
> generate a completely pruned tree using alpha/beta pruning... you
> don't have to generate the whole game tree. But exactly how are you
> going to do this? In chess... you can look 9 moves in and quickly
> evaluate if a branch is looking good or is looking bad (wow... you
> just lost a rook three moves in). It seems you can't really do this
> until pretty deep in the tree for go. Plenty of moves would look bad
> 20 moves deep.. but would turn out to be good 80 moves later. How can
> you know if a move is good or not until you move towards the end of a
> branch? Isn't this just a little computationally expensive? You need
> some sort of early evaluation function... and we don't seem to have
> that yet.

I'm only responding to your comment that you have to look at the entire
tree.   You DON'T have to look at the entire tree in order to get a
perfect answer and find the very best move with 100% certainty.   That's
all I'm saying.  It seems like you have a gift for obfuscation.

And yes, of course it's computationally expensive even with alpha beta
pruning which saves many orders of magnitude times more work.

It's trivial to write either a mini-max or alpha beta searcher program
that searches to the end of the game.   It doesn't require much memory
either because you only store 1 line at a time.

Of course such a program will not finish executing in the lifetime of
this universe.   But it is easy to write.